Non-Coding DNA in Human Health and Diseases

Coding DNA represents approximately 2% of the human genome, as well as of the genomes of other eukaryotic organisms. One of the most puzzling biological questions is understanding the purpose of the remaining 98% of the genome and how this non-coding DNA is linked to health.

Genetic changes targeting non-coding DNA, such as substitution variants, duplications, insertions, deletions and translocations, can affect health and development.

This Special Issue aims to identify regions of non-coding DNA, in particular those belonging to repetitive DNA, which play important role in cells and to understand how epigenetic and genetic changes of these regions affect their activity and in this way either influence certain genes, adaptation of the organisms as well as health conditions, or could serve as markers of specific pathological conditions.

   – Download Flyer